How Often Should You Clean Your Air Ducts?
Updated: May 26
Do you remember the last time your air ducts were cleaned? More than likely, it has been a long time. It is surprising how much dust and pollution HVAC systems collect. Health hazards are generally hidden from view, even though they do exist. Health hazards are generally hidden in the ductwork.
Ducts are a great place for dust, pollen, dirt, and other contaminants to accumulate. Some of the contaminants run through the different filters when air is run into the house and back into the system. It is also likely that they will get caught in the vents or registers, or just settle in a place where there is no airflow.
What is the best time to clean your air ducts?
It is important that you have them cleaned whenever the HVAC system does not work efficiently, if odors are present, or if you suspect that a foreign object is blocking your home's airflow. Air ducts in houses and apartments require cleaning every 2-4 years, according to our experience. A thorough inspection of the HVAC system and ductwork is highly recommended for commercial properties every year, as well as cleaning if necessary. As in residential properties, it is recommended to clean air ducts every three to four years in office buildings, educational institutions, malls, and other commercial properties.
However, NADCA (National Air Duct Cleaners Association) tells us that cleaning air ducts has several reasons.
A new house is the most important reason to clean your air ducts. The air ducts are unknown to you if you have never lived there. You also do not know how well the former owners treated the air ducts. When looking at the costs of purchasing the home, moving, and cleaning up after the move-in, the air ducts cleaning is the least expensive, and you will at least know your air ducts are clean. NADCA also cites the following reasons:
· You should have your air ducts cleaned if you have a pet that sheds a lot of hair and dander around the house. As hair and dander accumulate in air ducts, they eventually make them less effective.
· When allergic or asthmatic members of the family live in the home, cleaning the air ducts is a good idea so that you can remove risk factors that may increase the reactions and cause more problems.
· Does your home have recent damage from fire, water, or any other source? You should also clean your air ducts after a disaster has struck your home requiring restoration or remediation. In addition to the airborne particles from the damaged areas and from the restoration process, the air ducts were affected by the catastrophe itself.
· Reconstruction or renovation - According to the above section, if you just rebuilt or renovated a part of your home, cleaning out the air ducts is a smart move to remove all the debris and dust.
· Smoking indoors - this is an important reason if you have children. Generally, smoking inside isn't a good idea, so try to smoke as little as possible, and if you must smoke inside, make sure that the room is well ventilated.
Decide wisely, gain more.
Cleaning your air ducts with the right company will offer you more benefits than just a cleaner air duct system. If there are any issues or needs with your air duct cleaning, you will be able to speak to a professional and knowledgeable staff member.
Blues Carpet Cleaning has been around for years and will continue for many years to come. Air duct and carpet cleaning are our specialties. Our technicians follow leading industry standards and regulations.