Water damage is something that can happen to any home or facility at any unexpected time. It can be caused by several issues such as a leaking or broken pipe, due to flooding, due to a hole in the roof, or even because of a broken appliance such as a dishwasher. It can even happen due to external issues such as faulty sprinklers, to sewage system backup, and to toilet overflow.
Whatever the cause of water damage, one thing is for sure. It can cause a lot of problems for your home or business if not addressed quickly and correctly. To help you figure out how you can immediately tackle your water damage issue, here are a few facts that might be helpful:
- Your insurance policy might not cover all types of water damage – repairing the damage that water has caused can create a huge dent in your savings if it is not covered by your insurance policy. It will help you a lot if you know what your policy covers. For example, most policies will cover the cost of repairs and restoration for water damage caused by sudden, unexpected events, like an overflowing dishwasher. It will not, however, cover damage caused by neglect or something that happened over time. Problems caused by a dripping washing machine intake hose or a cracked pipe that you already knew about are examples of these. Flooding caused by an overflowing gutter that you did not clean can also be considered neglectful
- Flood damage and water damage are two different things – you should also be aware that flood damage and water damage are not the same. If your home is not covered for flood damage and your home gets inundated by flood waters from the outside, your insurance policy won’t cover it. You will need a separate policy for flood damage.
- Informing your insurance provider immediately is a must – as soon as you notice water issues that may cause water damage to your property, informing your insurance provider should be one of the first things you do. This will help you start the claims process right away, which can take a bit of time.
- Waiting to fix things can worsen the situation – when you discover water damage in your home or facility, addressing the issue as soon as you are able is imperative. Waiting too long to get things fixed will exacerbate the situation and may cost you more in repairs and restoration than it should have.
- Improper drying can cause you more problems – if you simply drain the water from your property without having a restoration company totally dry and dehumidify it, you will find yourself facing another big problem. This is the problem of molds. Mold growth can cause more than just unsightly spots and musty odors to develop. These can cause a variety of ailments to affect people and to cause structural damage.
These are just a few facts about what causes water damage and how you can prevent it. Call the experts at Blue’s Carpet Cleaning as we are the Colorado Springs restoration specialists. Our team is available at (719) 494-1440.